Friday, December 01, 2006

The World's Oldest Profession

My buddy, Todd, sent me a rather interesting article from the Associated Press explaining that Amsterdam city officials are going to be shutting down about one third of the prostitution “windows” in the famous red light district. The new measure designed to “revoke brothels’ licenses when it suspects operators have used them for money laundering or other illegal financial activity” goes into effect on the 1st of January. (For anyone interested in reading the article, it can be found here…)

Something tells me that this move is going to be completely misconstrued by the morally righteous out there. The shutdown is actually not a condemnation of prostitution in general; rather it is an attempt to battle the illegal financial activities that the prostitution industry is currently teeming with. The goal is laudable; however I worry a bit about the negative implications that this is going to be placing on an industry that many believe shouldn’t even exist. I do, however, think that “the world’s oldest profession” will survive. Who knows? Maybe this is a step in the right direction? Perhaps if all of the illegal activities associated with prostitution are controlled more thoroughly, prostitution might be able to become a more reputable industry.

The thing is that (apart from the rather large crowd of – usually religious – naysayers out there) I think any educated person can easily understand the benefits that prostitution actually provides to a society. It gives men a sexual outlet to utilize rather than forcing these same men to find their own way of obtaining sex – seems to me that this should have a positive impact on rape and other sexually related crimes. Other benefits of legalized prostitution are currently being stressed by the Croation People’s Party. They believe it would cut the spreading of sexual diseases by imposing better controls. Prostitutes would have to report to the authorities to get employee status, social security and health care. They would also be required to get tested for venereal diseases on a regular basis. This would give the prostitutes more incentive to practice safe sex as catching a disease could very well eliminate their source of income.

Unfortunately this issue is really only arguable outside of the United States (the “land of the free” … indeed…) as the US government has already made it very clear that prostitution, itself will always be a crime. (Well, except for Nevada … and why, exactly is it legal in Nevada? I need to look into that a bit…) In fact, back in May of this year, Rep. Christopher Smith, R-N.J., chairman of the House subcommittee on global human rights, urged Germany to re-criminalize prostitution (prostitution was legalized there in 2001) and suggested that the nation should be reclassified as an “egregious violator” of human trafficking. Interestingly enough, the 2006 Trafficking in Persons Report gave Germany its highest overall rating for compliance on efforts to stop trafficking. Is it possible that Mr. Smith is using something other than facts in his recommendations? Perhaps he feels that his morals are so pristine that he is compelled to forcefully impose these morals on, not only his actual constituents, but foreign countries as well…? Once again, the arrogance of the US government shows its ugly face…

I’m interested in hearing what your thoughts are on these issues.

bis später,

Coriolis

4 comments:

  1. I am sure men would love for this happen in the states. My personal belief is that legalizing of prostitution will not stop people from doing harm and raping women. It has been a proven fact that men who rape have control problem issues. Therefore I feel that it would not change men from doing harm to women. There would be more issues that would arise from legalizing it. Most likely men would probably be cheating on there wives to get a taste of other women and that would lead into a big huge mess. My answer to this idea is to buy a life-size real looking doll and hump away on that, now they have them so relistic you think that you were making out with a real person. they cost about 3,000 dollars on up but hay, if you are in the mood, it could be safe and enjoyable and you would not have to go hunting for a piece of ass!!!! well it was just a thought. from Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let’s be realistic here. Even though prostitution is currently illegal in most of the United States, it is (and will always be) available. The only thing that legalizing it does is give governments more control over it. Laws can be created that make disease testing mandatory and the industry can be taxed. That’s what’s being done in the Netherlands, Zürich and Germany.

    You are correct about the “control problem” thing – nothing’s going to completely stop these Neanderthals from hurting women. I do, however, believe that a legal sexual outlet for these idiots should at least be tried. It’s better than doing nothing…

    As for an increase in infidelity, I really don’t see how legalizing prostitution is going to cause this. As I stated, prostitution already exists pretty much everywhere and, for the jerks that are stupid enough to cheat on their wives, I really don’t think that the illegality of it is stopping them. Heck, I would bet that most of the cheating going on is not even with prostitutes … but I really must admit that I am most definitely not “in the know” on this subject – I don’t understand these guys…

    With respect to the love doll thing, I would just say “no thanks”. That’s just me though … perhaps there are those out there that are just looking for the physical thrill and a realistic enough doll might be perfect for them. I, however, have a strict rule about my sexual partners – they need to be alive and breathing…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that would get your attention!! I was laughing when I posted that message. Oh come on, dont you know that arousal comes from over 95% from your brain. They dont have to be alive and breathing hahahhahahaha.

    I really love how you wright have you ever considered wrighting books or anything like that? You are definatly gifted in Literature and things of that nature. I wish I had you in my Comp 1 class I would pay you to give me a hand in this subject matter.
    Thankyou for responding. You are making this very enjoyable for me now I will be running to my computer to see if you posted me a message!!! Well you relax and think positive and I shall talk and read about you later have a good day and night. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so the suggestion for the $3000 bionic woman was just a ploy to get a response … well played! Let this be a lesson to all the other readers out there – comment and I will respond. (Just try not to get too upset about my response … I apparently lost one reader that way already…)

    And hey, thanks for the compliment. I think I’ve always been decent in expressing my thoughts through writing; it’s only been recently that I’ve figured out that I actually enjoy writing. I spoke of this briefly in my Random Observations posting a while back and gave a rather thorough explanation of what this blog is trying to accomplish in the Much Needed Explanation post. Bottom line is that I would most definitely be interested in writing books or something (heck, Dave Barry appears to have retired – I wouldn’t mind taking over his job); however I’m thinking that, once deadlines and assignments are thrown in, the fun might quickly disappear…

    No, I seriously doubt that you’ll be seeing any professionally published works from me any time soon – but the lucky few that are “in the know” can read my stuff right here whenever they want!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog