Monday, November 27, 2006

Grammar 101

Since I’ve decided to write this blog I’ve been noticing something rather interesting about the “blogosphere” in general. It seems to me that the quality of writing in a blog has absolutely nothing to do with its popularity … in fact it appears as though there might even be an inverse relationship between quality and popularity. This makes no sense to me. I mean why are so many people reading and responding to blogs that appear to be written by third graders? Is this the educational level that the majority of our population can relate to? I hope not … that’s not saying much about modern society…

Granted the small (almost non-existent) amount of comments I receive on my blog is what started my interest in this. It makes me wonder if anything that I am posting is even worth commenting on. Maybe I need to shorten my stories a bit and pander to the short attention span syndrome that modern society appears to be going through…? That, however, just doesn’t seem right to me. No … I’m going to continue writing complete and detailed stories – that’s just my style, I guess. I suppose I should just be happy that anybody’s even reading this stuff. This is mainly just a way that I can get the same story out to several interested people without having to re-hash the story again and again upon re-connecting with friends at different times. I kind of thought that some of these stories might be interesting enough for the general public to read but I guess reading about the silly adventures of a person that you don’t know isn’t very interesting…

The other thing that is now becoming very clear to me is that old saying about leading a horse to water – drinking is a decision that the horse needs to make on its own. I’ve informed pretty much all of my friends about this blog but usually discover that the blog has not been read by these friends when I actually am able to speak with them. This, of course, leads to the exact situation that I am trying to minimize with this blog and the stories need to be re-iterated verbally. I suppose this really isn’t that big of a deal. If all of my friends have read the blogs then that would merely limit the amount of new stores that I am able to tell – limiting my conversation options rather greatly. Ah, but this actually doesn’t worry me much as there is always a myriad of details left out of any story and these details can be discussed with people that read the blog. Not to mention that the number of stories that I haven’t yet written about is rather immense – things, in general, are always happening…

For instance, Anna (you remember Anna, right? – the one from Club Love in Athens…) is once again making a bit of a presence in my life. There was about a one month period where we basically stopped communicating and I just kind of figured that that was the end of that. I mean, after all, we knew each other for a grand total of maybe 10 hours over the period of two days. Is this enough time for two people to actually build a lasting relationship? The realist in me says “no” however there’s that hopeless romantic in me that screams “maybe”… just think of what a great “how we met” story that would be…

It was about a week ago when I received an SMS from Anna saying that she had been going through a really “fuck top” (you need to remember that she’s Russian and I think this is supposed to read “fucked up”) period in her life and that she was sorry for the long period of non-communication. I apparently made some kind of impact since she did get back in touch with me. We’ve been in contact since and she wants me to head down to Athens to visit her – she’s saying that Christmas is coming and that a visit from me would be the best present. Who knows? Maybe I will take a little trip… I could always fly down there for a night on the 16th of December, but I need to make sure that Anna can get the 16th and 17th off from work – I’m not about to head back down there and pay the outrageous prices required to be able to speak with her at her work… I’ll be calling her shortly to see what she thinks about this idea.

Now we get to experience one of the idiosyncrasies of written communication – time shifting… You see, quite a bit has happened since I wrote those paragraphs above – I headed back to the STD clinic to get my HIV test results (negative, thank god…), got myself a Döner Dürüm for lunch and called Anna. I actually had a rather interesting chat with Anna that changes things a little bit – she’s going to be letting me know tomorrow whether she might be able to leave Greece for a couple days around the holidays and head on up to Germany to spend some time with me. That would be cool! Unfortunately, for this to happen, the Greek government is going to have to give a guarantee that Anna can not only leave Greece for a couple of days but also be able to return afterwards. From my limited experience with Greek people, in general, I really don’t see this happening … all I can do is hope… Heck, I think that Anna actually taking the time and expense required to fly to Germany would put to rest most of the concerns that some of my friends have about Anna just playing me for monetary gain. I’m sure I’ll be letting you guys know what happens with this…

bis später,

Coriolis

12 comments:

  1. You said it pal. Shorten your stories and write about what you think. Other than about prostitutes and drugs i.e. And since you seem to have reached some conclusion about this illusion of a life you lead, why don't you take the consequences and stop having relationships with said prostitutes?

    Or maybe just don't give a shit and keep on going with your life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, first off, what exactly did I say that you are agreeing with? That I should shorten my stories and write about what I think…? You might want to go back and re-read that post – I made it pretty clear that I am not going to be doing that… Also, what’s wrong with writing about prostitutes and drugs? If anybody gets anything from my blog it should be that there is never a quick and easy solution to life’s little issues. My blog is a completely true, no-holds-barred account of my silly little adventures. If anything, it should be a red flag for others to be careful…

    As for the “illusion” of a life that I am leading, I have never referred to it that way. I’m not sure what you’re getting at here as my life is far from an illusion. To me it IS reality… I’m really a bit confused about your point about me taking the consequences – believe me, consequences have been taken time and time again.

    I do, however, appreciate the comment. I’m actually hoping that you leave another comment that better explains your points. I’m quite confused at exactly what you were getting at…

    Oh yeah, as for the “having relationships with prostitutes” part, I don’t think you completely understand this issue – well, maybe you do; however I don’t know who you are nor what qualifications you have to justify your broad condemnation of the world’s oldest profession. The way I see it is that we (the prostitutes and I) help each other out. I get sex and they get money. It’s the definition of a service industry…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that would get you going...and right I was. Short is sweet, remember? That's what I agreed to.

    And you're right. I don't understand people who have relationships with prostitutes. You actually think these women chose their professions? They were born and thought "heck yes, I wanna be a prostitute".

    There are always sad stories behind them ending up like that, and you my "friend" are contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure … perhaps the prostitutes didn’t strive to become prostitutes from birth; however prostitutes they have become. Exactly how and why they have become prostitutes is actually none of my business – the point remains that they are prostitutes. Now your accusation about me contributing to this is silly. Are you trying to deceive yourself into believing that the demand for the services provided by these women is going to somehow magically disappear? They don’t call it the “world’s oldest profession” for nothing.

    And tell me, my masked compadre, when was the last time you actively participated in helping a young woman avoid the terrors of prostitution? At least I’m helping them by providing them with the money that they do actually need as opposed to – as I can only image you do – ignoring them completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supply and demand, ever heard of it? Without demand there wouldn't be a supply. And yes, I think they're better off long-term (which must be a foreign expression to you being an American an'all) with me "ignoring" them.

    I realize the world is never gonna be utopia, but I for one do not want to contribute to make it bad (or worse - pick your choice).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting response … it blatantly displays your inattention to details.

    Personally, you’re opinion of me is meaningless and the random shot you tried to make at Americans in general is just a blatant display of your shallowness. Fine, so I’m a bad person in your eyes. Since you choose to stay hidden behind your anonymousness, I really don’t care. Oh no! Some shallow anonymous person somewhere in the world thinks I’m a “bad man”!! How will I survive?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK so you managed to make me delete your blog address. And here was I thinking you wanted a discussion. How wrong I was!

    I'm sorry. I wish you luck in your life! Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, anonymous, I am sorry to hear that. However, it is up to you on whether or not you read my blog.

    Just let me say this: You were looking for a "discussion" by posting a comment that did no more than confuse me. I then responded by requesting clarification on your original comment and received a response from you attacking me for contributing to the prostitution problem. I defended myself by trying to explain that the demand for these services was never going to go away and you followed this up by questioning my knowledge of the 'supply/demand concept'. Of course I understand supply and demand - that's exactly the point that I was making...

    Apparently, my last comment hit a nerve or two with you - and that's fine... I've mentioned before that anonymous comments aren't going to hold much weight and I will now tell you why that is:

    Anonymity is weak. It says, "I have a thought that I want to express but I'm not going to claim this thought as my own because I don't want people knowing that I think this way." It shows me somebody that is most definitely not willing to take the consequences that might arise if anybody happens to disagree with him. It absolutely makes the argument posed weaker.

    I, for one, always claim my ideas. You may not agree with them and that's fine. However, if you are going to argue them, at least have the common courtesy to make your identity known...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The drugs and prostitutes are what make your stories interesting. Without the details who wants to read it. Jeneine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jeneine! That was pretty much what I was thinking as well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, this is Legendary Seven. I just read through this after you linked to it from my blog on Myspace. I totally agree. It kinda makes me sick that the poorly written blogs gain such huge readership. I think what you said about the material being at a third grade level is very true though. I know that newspapers make sure their writing is at a low level so that everyone can understand it... Maybe a blog has to be the same way to be popular?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey L7! Thanks for stopping by…

    You’re probably correct about the writing at a lower level in order to increase readership; however that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it? I mean sure, you get a bunch of readers; but there’s something to be said about integrity. Nah, as far as I’m concerned my blog is going to continue as it currently is. Is it the “poster child” for a proper writing style? No. I do, however, believe that I am at least being clear with any points I am trying to make…

    I guess all we can do is hope that the more intelligent people will somehow stumble onto our blogs. Or at least people that can appreciate them a bit more…

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog