Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Butterfly Flaps its Wings

I remember when I was back in elementary school and things always seemed to work out for me. I can only assume that this was when I was stupid enough to believe that that’s just the way life was – easy… I’ve always been a very shy person (unbelievable after reading this blog, but true…); however it didn’t seem like that big of a deal to me when I was younger (we’re talking mid to late ‘70s here…) as I was always able to keep a couple good friends and, amazingly enough, had no problems with the women.

Okay, so I’m talking about pre-pubescence, but I could have been a “contender” later in life if I had just conquered that shyness problem. I remember in 2nd grade where I actually had a (secret, of course) crush on two girls – Amy and Tracy. Now I was 7 years old then and knew little about the “birds and the bees”. All I knew was that I liked these girls. What did I do about it? What was I going to do…? I was 7! I guess this was when I picked up my wonderful habit of hiding my feelings. The funny thing about girls in elementary school is that they often times don’t hide their feelings…

This point was made perfectly clear to me one day on the playground as I was sitting alone in one of the cement sewage tubes (yeah, back then pieces of cement sewage piping were considered excellent substitutes for actual playground equipment) just minding my own business. As I was sitting there I basically got molested (remember, we were kids – they just jumped on me and started kissing me) by a couple of girls – Amy and Tracy. Could I have even imagined a better scenario at the time? No – this should have been my “initiation” into becoming a man; but what did I do? I ran away! Granted I was only 7, but I ran away. Why?

You see, I’m starting to think that that one little incident had a much bigger impact on the rest of my life than I ever would have imagined. I mean that basically sums me up – I get the girls I wanted (both, by the way…) and my first reaction is to run.

Here’s where I begin the “what if” scenarios. What if I just stayed there and actually participated in the activity? Yeah, we were too young to understand exactly what we were doing and may have even got into a bit of trouble if the “playground lady” would have caught us; but what would my life have been like if I stayed? You see I believe that it is experiences such as these that make us who were are when we get older. For some stupid reason, I decided to run … I’ve been running since…

The thing is that that wasn’t the only time. Throughout my childhood there were many occasions where I was given the perfect opportunity to abandon those childish fears and become a man. On every one of those opportunities, I ran (either literally or figuratively). I suppose I’m destined to live the rest of my life running from what I really want. It’s sad, really… The saddest part about it is that I seem to have absolutely no way to change this. Every once in a while I get in these situations where I think my luck might finally be changing. Every time (without exception), I manage to find a way to fuck things up.

It’s interesting to me that it took moving to Germany to get me to think about this so much. I think back in America it was just easier for me to find things to waste my time with giving me the ability to push this need that I have to the back of my mind. I really couldn’t tell you when my last actual “date” was – probably over 15 years ago… The thing is I’m in Germany now – I’ve got a taste of what I want and I’m desperately wanting more (and no, I’m not just talking about sex…). Unfortunately, this is most definitely not the environment for me to find what I am seeking – I don’t speak the language! Although I doubt that matters much as I am discovering that speaking the same language isn’t necessarily a guarantee that people will get along. Heck, Julie’s an American and I think I’ve already managed to fuck up that friendship (run Glen, run…). Maybe I’m better off dealing with people that can’t understand me…

Anyway, that’s what’s been on my mind lately. It’d be great to be able to go back in time and get a “do over”. Life, however, doesn’t work that way. In this life, you are where you are – how you got there is pretty much insignificant as you can’t change the past. I am a frustrated old man basically trying to fill an emotional void with visits from women that are only there because I am paying them.

Why did I run…?

bis später,

Coriolis

6 comments:

  1. Glen, my son, ALL little boys at age 7 run for their lives from girls! Don't make more of it then it was. It's good that you realize what you want from life now - so, go after it. You, and you alone are in charge of your destiny - even now. Sure, it is almost impossible in Germany, but when you are back than make an extra effort to find that special someone. Forget about the 17 year old - you are right about not pursuing her and you very well know it. You are certainly not shy in any other part of your life, so use those skills to get to know women - you have to be yourself to find someone you can relate to. You are losing weight, which is good - that should make you feel better about your appreance - you have brains and a good sense of humor BUT more important than all of that, you respect women and think of their needs before your own (that is extra special to women).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey broad...

    Yeah, most boys at age 7 run for their lives from girls; however it makes one wonder what life would have been like if I were the exception... But I wasn't ... so I guess that point is mute.

    I agree with you on the "respect women and think of their needs before (my) own" point - it just seems to me that women actually like the guys that treat them like shit. Just look around on any day - they're everywhere...

    I will say, however, that if the choices are: 1. Be myself and be lonely or 2. Learn to treat women like shit - then I'm afraid I'm going to be a lonely guy for the rest of my life... Qué Será Será...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness! You are doing it again! No, women do NOT want to be treated like crap. They do however want a partner in life that is also their best friend!They don't want the "woe is me" guy. They want the confident "yeah, I have a few flaws, so what" guy. You are a handsom guy, you have the personality, now you just need to get yourself the confidence. "SHE" will come along. You may need to be searching for her....or maybe she'll find you, but it will not happen where the lights are red. Don't be pushy, and DO NOT smother. And like I said, you never know. There might be a cute little German girl (woman) out there just waiting to find her American guy. I'll do some research for you to see what kind of places there are in your area where you could go. Again, they will not be lit up by red lights!!

    me

    ReplyDelete
  4. All very good advice ... however...

    Women are always saying that they want their man to be their best friend. I suppose this is true - that would seem to be the best situation; however, there's something else involved that I don't have. I've been very close friends with several women throughout my life. I'm just missing that "thing" required to take it any further...

    Although I must say that you make a good point with the "'woe is me' guy" statement. I can most definitely see how that would be a turn-off...

    I don't know ... I think what I need about now is a run of some good luck. It's just that lately Murphy's Law has been unbreakable by me. Damn Murphy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll happen.....really, it will. I know, I know. Blah, blah, blah, whatever!! :-)
    Just don't smother her, don't write letters to her and try this one....play hard to get!!!! Don't throw yourself at a woman and say: "Here, take me please because nobody else will have me and you are my last hope." And then write a three page letter. If someone doesn't show interest in you, screw it. Let it go. Don't spill your guts to her in a long-winded letter. You would just waste your time. Be more: "Yeah, I'm a catch, but I won't settle for just anyone....!!" And while we are at it, let's set an age limit! Nobody under...ohhhh....let's say....28!!!
    See ya....

    me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, anonymous brings up some very valid points - and I appreciate that. Now allow me to retort...

    I need to play "hard to get", huh? Well, you are most likely correct here but the only problem I see with this miracle cure is that, in order for someone to play "hard to get", there needs to be at least one other person that wants to get them. Not to mention that that would be me acting like somebody I'm not - I think I explained the way I am on this subject pretty well back in my My Life Story - Sandy (Part 3) post. I'm just not able to be somebody that I am not...

    As I said, what I need now is a string of good luck. All of my issues can be summed up as being either directly caused by or at least seriously influenced by my own lack of confidence - I doubt anyone will argue that. I think the only way to actually build my confidence would be for things to start working out at times for me. The sad truth of the matter is that (at least with the social scene) things never seem to work out for me - I need to have a few situations that end up "better" than I was expecting rather than the far too often bad endings...

    Maybe I should get myself a rabbit's foot or something...?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog