Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm Sorry ... You Are???

Here’s an interesting tidbit of information: Several studies have shown a direct correlation between smoking and decreased performance in memory (specifically with names and faces) as well as verbal memory. And I’m not talking about smoking ganja here – tobacco has this negative effect as well. I guess that explains quite a bit about me … and here I thought that it might have been that closed head injury I went through. Guess not…

But wait – I seem to recall not being able to remember names and faces since long before I started smoking. Here’s a thought: Maybe poor memory (specifically with names and faces) somehow leads to smoking. Sure, why not? It’s a viable argument. Whenever there’s a social gathering of some sort, the guy that is constantly confronted with the awkward situation of not being able to remember people’s names time and time again decides, “Fuck it! I need a smoke…”

I can see it now, the new ad campaign for cigarettes – “You’re invited to a party with several of your not-so-close friends – the one’s you’ve met (often times on several occasions) but never actually ‘hung out’ with. They approach you, one by one, and greet you by name. After enduring the non-stop torture of coming up with generic labels to respond with – ‘hey buddy’ … ‘how’s it going, my man’ … ‘what up, cuz’ – you begin to break down. Fuck it! Let the calming effects of {insert brand name} cigarettes take you away…”

Of course, these days, you get the added benefit of being left alone as well. You’ll have to go outside (smoking inside any building – public or private – has most definitely gone the way of the dinosaurs) and you can bet that very few will be joining you on your trip. Those that do, or those that have already gathered outside, won’t be a problem either as there’s a good chance they’re in the same boat. You can expect a few minutes of exclusively nameless small-talk before having to return to the named. I call this time “my little peace”…

So maybe the way to quit smoking is to work on improving your memory. We don’t need any gums or patches – those don’t give you the advantages of “my little peace” – what we need are easily accomplishable memory exercises. We need to learn simple techniques that can improve our name and face recognition. It would also be nice if these routines were easily obtainable – perhaps in packs of 20… Ahh, fuck it … I need a smoke…

bis später,

Coriolis

4 comments:

  1. If you can't remember why you shouldn't smoke, maybe you should start up...is that your advice. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice? From me? No … I’m not the least bit qualified to give advice. The only advice I am somewhat qualified to give is to not take any advice from me. My life sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm I don't know that this is particularly true. I seem to remember way too many names and faces, in fact I saw a guy about a year ago who I recognized and we figured out that he was my brother's best friend when he was 8!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 6. 22 years later and I still remember him! Nice blog though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can guarantee that it’s not true. I was just having some fun with the old scientific method. One of those “chicken and egg” type arguments and, since I’m horrible with names and faces, figured I could use that as a completely unfounded excuse for my smoking habit.

    No … truth be told, I have no valid excuse for smoking other than stupidity. I do appreciate the comment and thank you for reading my silly little blog. Just out of curiosity, do you smoke?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog