Friday, October 13, 2006

A Sunday in Zürich


So last night I decided to “hire” myself a girl. I dropped €1500 for what was supposed to be 10 hours with Janina. It ended up being a few hours shy of that, but I suppose it really doesn’t matter as this little battle over ED that I am currently engaged in pretty much guaranteed that no more “fun” was going to be had… Janina left at a quarter past 3:00am and I set my phone (my mobile alarm clock) to wake me at 10:00am – checkout time was noon – and got a little sleep.

I actually awoke a bit before the alarm and decided to get up, make myself presentable to the world (well, as much as I can…), check out of the hotel and head on out to see what kind of trouble I could rustle up for myself on this day. I had – you may recall – the address to the Atelier VIP Club (one of the swinger’s clubs) and believed that I had a general idea of where this place could be found. After leaving the hotel, I headed to the southwest corner of the train station and started heading south along the edge of the river. When I checked out the map for this place online, I noticed that it was located in this area. Where, exactly? I had no clue… I figured I’d just walk around and see what I could see. My flight back to Hannover wasn’t scheduled to be taking off until 9:30 that evening and it was only somewhere around noon now. I had plenty of time to kill…

I never actually found the Atelier VIP Club. Where I ended up wasting away the day was at this bar (well, I don’t know the official title for places like this – it was a bar that had women employed to entertain the male patrons – for a price, that is…) that I randomly ran into. I don’t remember the name of the joint, but this was where I met Surunna – this extremely attractive Thai girl that quickly saw me for the sucker that I am.

It was some more of the same deal that I had just recently been through in Greece – yes, I know I haven’t written the Athens blog entry yet, but I suppose this is a good preview of what to expect on that one… I was sitting at the bar talking with the bartender and Surunna. The conversation really wasn’t that interesting as all it was was the two of them double-teaming me in trying to get me to buy more expensive drinks for Surunna. Once again, a drink wasn’t really a “drink”. A drink was a bottle of champagne. Of course purchasing a drink for the ladies here also bought you a better seat in one of the poorly lit booths in the back of the bar that were camouflaged by large house plants. What can I say? I had something like seven hours to kill. I bought Surunna a drink.

We (Surunna and I) then moved to one of the camouflaged booths together and got to know each other a bit better. She seemed like a fun girl. She didn’t appear to have any inhibitions. In fact, if it weren’t for this ED problem, I most definitely would have fucked her (with protection, of course) right then and there in that little booth. We did try, but it wasn’t happening. There’s really nothing quite as frustrating as having a mind completely ready and a body that just doesn’t cooperate. Oh well, this just became yet one more opportunity to further refine my oral skills (you know what I mean … my “conversational” skills have never been better … wink, wink…).

One needs to be extremely careful in establishments such as this. It’s not long before those drinks that you are constantly being asked to purchase start adding up! I dropped a bit over €2000 during my stay and they were still trying to get more out of me when the cab finally arrived to get me to the airport. The funny (well, “stupid” is probably a better adjective here) thing is that I actually did know what was going on – heck, I learned that lesson the hard way in Athens the weekend before… The biggest problem here was that I really gave up on the “caring” part. I honestly didn’t care. Oh, I’m very certain that, at some future date when this money would most definitely be advantageous, I will care; but during the time I was there I just didn’t care. I had quite a few hours to kill and I was actually having fun with Surunna.

I asked the cab driver how much it would cost for a ride to the airport and was told about 60 Francs (you see Switzerland hasn’t switched to the Euro yet – they still use Swiss Francs). What I had on me at the time was €35. After showing the driver that my wallet only had the €35 in it, he agreed to take me to the airport for €35. Of course, with the current exchange rate, €35 is worth about 56 Francs – so I wasn’t really ripping off this guy; besides, he got the rest of his pay in entertainment as I was telling him about what had happened to me over the last couple of weeks. I think he’s heard these stories before as he was pretty much cracking up during the entire ride…

Okay, so I’m at the airport a bit earlier than expected (I really needed to get out of that bar quickly – should have done it earlier…) with very little money on me. I think I found a €5 bill in my pocket and had about €12 or so worth of change. I needed to catch the plane back to Hannover, figure out how to get from the Hannover airport to the main train station (I was pretty sure that there was a train that I could take, but I had never done it before) and then get on the next train to Braunschweig. My flight was scheduled to depart at 9:30pm. At 10:15pm we began to board the plane…

Oh well, there was about an hour delay on my flight. I wasn’t too worried as I was pretty sure that trains would always be running (in Hannover) between the airport and train station and that there was a train that ran hourly between Hannover and Braunschweig. I’d be landing in Hannover around midnight now rather than the planned 11:00. I wasn’t worried. I could make the train back to Braunschweig.

Well, after exiting the plane, I followed the signs to the train platform. There was a train currently waiting to depart and the sign said that it was heading to the Hauptbahnhof. This was where I needed to be! I quickly ran up to a couple guys that obviously worked on this train and asked if I could buy a ticket on the train. They pointed me over to the ticket machine. As I was frantically trying to buy a ticket from the machine, the fucking train left! These assholes knew that I was trying to quickly buy a ticket for that train and they completely ignored me and left. I mean, where’s the compassion? Not in Germany, that’s for sure…

So great – I’m stuck at the Hannover airport and I just missed my train. When’s the next one? Upon checking the departure board, I see that one more train is due to be heading to the Hauptbahnhof in about 30 minutes – and that was it for the night! I think the next train after this was scheduled to be running a bit past 4:00 in the morning. I was most definitely going to make the last train of the night. Of course now I’m beginning to wonder about the train back to Braunschweig – do the hourly trains between Hannover and Braunschweig stop running at night? I didn’t know. Oh well, there wasn’t much I could do about it now – I just needed to make sure I didn’t miss this last train of the night from the airport!

I made this last run and, get this, was never even asked to show my ticket to anyone! I most likely could have just jumped on that earlier train that left without me and had no problem. I guess that’s what I get for trying to follow the rules… Whatever the case, I made the final train from the airport and successfully made it to the Hauptbahnhof, checked the departure board for the next train to Braunschweig and was very disappointed to see the time that it was leaving – 4:20am! Oh well, I guess I’ll be getting a room at a nearby hotel here in Hannover and heading back to Braunschweig after getting a few hours of sleep. I hit the ATM machine, buy myself a ticket for the trip to Braunschweig (€10) then head outside to try to find a place to sleep.

I find this Accor hotel located very near the Hauptbahnhof and head on in. I ask the receptionist (after asking whether he spoke English or not) whether there were any rooms available and am told that the hotel is booked full. Great, what do I do now? The receptionist then tells me that they had another hotel around the corner that had rooms. Not only that, but the rooms were only €39 per night. He then explained that there was no receptionist there but that I could purchase the room via credit card at this ATM-like machine that was there. Cool … how hard could this be? I head on over to where the guy directed me and find the machine.

It seemed simple enough – there was a touch-screen display, a numeric keypad and a slot for a credit card. There were also stickers posted showing the various types of cards that could be used. The best part was that the initial screen displayed was for a choice of languages and English was one of them. I selected English. I then selected one room for one night without breakfast and tapped where it said “confirm”. Here’s where the problem with this setup was discovered. You see, although I was able to select English as my language choice for the touch-screen display, there was also a small LED display above the numeric keypad. No matter what language was chosen on the touch-screen this display was always in German! I had no idea what it was telling me. I was also having no luck in successfully obtaining a room as all my attempts at putting in the credit card and entering the request were not resulting in anything happening. I finally noticed a poster posted on the glass wall next to the machine that somewhat explained the process in both German and English. It only took me three more attempts at doing what the poster said before I finally got a code to enter the hotel. I entered the hotel and went up to the room that I was assigned.

As I entered the room I noticed that the window was open and it was a bit chilly. I also quickly noticed why this room was only €39 a night – I’m not exactly sure what it was, but every 30 seconds or so (and this went on all night long…) there was a very loud metal on metal crashing sound that appeared to be coming from across the street! I mean it was like somebody was crushing automobiles (two per minute) right outside my hotel room window! Of course at this point, I really didn’t care … I was tired and frustrated and I just wanted to get back to my apartment (which, of course, I couldn’t do until later in the morning…). I set my phone to wake me at 6:30am and tried to get some sleep.

I once again woke before the alarm (I think it was about 5:30 or so…) and decided to head on back over to the station. I got myself a mediocre sandwich for breakfast, hopped on the next train to Braunschweig (which ended up being an ICE where I needed to pay €6 more on the train because the ticket I purchased last night was only good for the RE trains) and finally arrived back at my apartment at 8:00am. I then went to work.

That was it – my first trip to Zürich. The reason that I say this was my “first” trip to Zürich is because – believe it or not – I’ve already made plans for trip number two. You see, Surunna and I exchanged phone numbers while I was down there. She was acting like she really wanted to see me again – acting, mind you… But that’s cool. I know what it’s all about – my money. Personally, I’m okay with that. We’ve been in contact with each other over the last week and decided that I should fly down there and spend a Saturday night with her. The cost, of course, is going to be 1000 Swiss Francs but I think it’s worth it. At least this way I’m not going in blind and I pretty much know what to expect on this trip – as I said earlier, Surunna was a lot of fun. So, I’ve bought the plane tickets and one night at a hotel near the Zürich airport and I am going to give Surunna 1000 Francs to spend the night with me. That’s scheduled to take place on November 4th.

As for today, I am supposed to be heading up to Hannover this evening to stay one night in a hotel by the airport, get up bright an early tomorrow and hop on the7:35am flight to Paris. I won’t be doing this, however … I’ve cancelled the trip. The truth of the matter is that I’m tired. This “different city each weekend” thing that I’ve been doing really wears a guy down… I think I’ll spend a large portion of this weekend sleeping…

bis später,

Coriolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog