Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Amsterdam (part 2)

Okay, so where did I leave off…? Oh yeah, I had just purchased a prostitute and it was now 4:30am. I then just headed to the hotel, took the life threatening trip up the steep stairs and went to bed.

I awoke somewhere around 10:00 in the morning and really had no plans at all for the day. Jon and Cindy were pretty much out of the picture after I had said my farewell to them the night before. Turns out – as I would find out from Jon on Monday – they basically ended up staying up all night and jumped on the first train to Germany in the morning. They had their EurRail passes and this basically gave them a lot of freedom as they could pretty much jump on any train at any time without a hassle. I, however, had to book my trip and was actually scheduled to be leaving back to Germany at 3:12pm.

I had a few hours to spare so I decided to head back over to the red light district and see what was going on. At 10:00 in the morning on a Sunday, nothing’s going on in the red light district. All the little rooms that were lit up last night in red were all dark now. I then proceeded to walk north through the now dead red light district toward Centraal Station.

As I was walking toward the station I decided to pop in to a coffee shop and pick up some herb. I walked in to this quaint little coffee shop and got myself a pre-rolled hash joint. Now, the problem with buying the pre-rolled joints was that they were mixed with tobacco. If you want a pure weed joint, you can always ask the dealer if he would roll one for you and then buy some of the weed (or hash) that’s for sale and get a joint rolled. Either that or you could just roll one yourself. As for me, I didn’t mind the tobacco mixed in, so I just purchased the pre-rolled. I then headed back outside…

It was raining lightly when I began my journey for the day but it had been steadily increasing throughout my walk. And, since I had no predetermined route for the day, I decided to pop into the GrassHopper coffee shop and see what was going on. I headed down to the basement that was already pretty crowded with patrons, bought myself a donut and a Red Bull, sat down at a table and ate my breakfast and smoked my J.

I then headed back out to do some more walking around and decided to leave my umbrella in my computer bag. This was a bad choice as it started pouring down just minutes after I left the GrassHopper. I quickly jumped into this coffee shop (I forget the name) that just happened to be conveniently located directly across the street from me when the downpour began. I figured I’d hang out here for a bit and let the rain settle down. I purchased 3 skunk joints and a coke and began my waiting. I then noticed that they had brownies listed on their marijuana/hash menu and asked the guy behind the bar if he thought I’d have any trouble taking some brownies back to Germany with me. It was his opinion that it wouldn’t be any trouble and that I could always buy a sandwich somewhere and just put the brownie in the same bag to make it look like a meal deal. Sounded like a good idea, but I figured I really didn’t need to go through all the trouble. I purchased 3 brownies at €4 a pop and continued waiting for the rain to let up.

The brownies were interesting in that they came in a sealed plastic wrap that had a label on it stating something like – “THC Brownie … This is not an ordinary brownie. If you eat this brownie, you will slowly start to feel the effects. It could take up to two hours for the effects to kick in, but they will. Please don’t freak out!” I asked the bartender for a pair of scissors and quickly removed the labels from the brownies. I now wish I would have saved one of the labels because that’s just too funny – Please don’t freak out!

I stashed the brownies in my computer carrying case and noticed this younger (looked to be in his early 20’s) guy walking into the bar. His eyes were wide open and he actually looked giddy. He walked over and sat next to me at the bar, ordered up a gram of the ‘White Widow’, looked at me and said, “Can you believe this!?” He was an American on a trip somewhere in Europe and had like a 3 hour stop in Amsterdam. He was saying that he heard and read many stories about Amsterdam but was still amazed when he walked out of the train station. I know exactly where he was coming from as I too had read and heard the stories. Being there, of course, is another thing all together.

Well, once again, I got stuff I gotta get to so I am going to have to sign off for now. Remember where the story was and I’ll continue on some other day. Thanks for reading and letting me share a bit of my life with you…

Bis später,

Coriolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog