Friday, April 23, 2010

They ARE Very Sorry

Okay, so I moved to my new apartment. I dropped quite a bit of money in an effort to furnish said apartment and am actually getting close to being done – I still need to get the two bathrooms finished and pick up a few more kitchen needs; however it does appear that I will soon be fully “moved in”… So where do I go from here? What’s next on my silly little agenda that is my life…? I know! I’ll head on over to eHarmony and see if they can find me someone to hang out with – they can match anyone, right? Nope…

The thing is, I was rejected by eHarmony a few years back. I filled out their rather extensive questionnaire with what I believed at the time to be 100% honest answers. The result was a notification that their system could not predict good matches for me. Oh well, whatever… Perhaps I was not being as honest as I should; unfortunately, once you get rejected, you are not allowed to change your answers. I don’t know how long you need to wait before you can try again, but (at least with the email address used for your first attempt) their system is set up to block access to the questionnaire on people that get deemed unmatchable. I basically let it end there and assumed that I had made a mistake with my answers…

Today, however, I logged back on to eHarmony. Apparently, enough time had passed to clear out my old, unmatchable questionnaire and I was once again allowed to give it another shot. Now since I’ve got no reason not to try again, I filled out the questionnaire – this time with the knowledge that my last attempt was unmatchable. I spent quite a bit of time making sure that all of my answers where completely honest. The way I figured it was that, the last time I did this, I did it too quickly and must have made some silly mistake. This time, I was going to get it right. I think it took me somewhere around 2 and a half hours, but I answered all of the questions and this time I know I was 100% honest.

The result: “We’re very sorry, but our matching system cannot predict good matches for you.”

I guess that explains a lot… For one thing, it shows that I was correct in thinking that my answers to the questionnaire a few years back were actually valid. I guess I didn’t make a silly mistake; I actually am unmatchable by eHarmony. But why…?

You see, that’s the rub. They come back and tell you that “ matching system cannot identify high quality compatible matches” based on your responses to their questionnaire; however they give absolutely no explanation as to why this is. They “apologize and regret inability to find good matches” and even provide you with a free “Personality Profile” to let you learn more about yourself and “provide you with valuable insights.” I looked over the Profile provided for me and wasn’t able to find anything that would make me out and out unmatchable. It actually describes me as a pretty well adjusted, rather stable, focused and agreeable man. But then I remembered…

Whilst filling out this questionnaire, I was struck by a few of the qualities it was asking me to rank myself on. There were three in particular that, to me, stuck out like a turd in a punchbowl. They were having me rate the importance of my religious beliefs – after, by the way, I had already chosen “neither religious nor spiritual” on one of the first questions asked. This got me to pondering … “Was my lack of religion the reason I was unable to be matched?”

I would have just gone back and changed my answers for those religious-based questions as a test; however, as I stated above, one is not allowed to change any answers once one has been deemed unmatchable. That, however, didn’t stop me from starting over from scratch with a different email address; and in today’s technical society, who doesn’t have multiple email addresses that they can use, right? So that’s what I did. I started again from scratch with my work email address and changed my name and location. I answered everything as identical to the last time as I could remember except for the religious aspect – there I decided to become a rather devout Christian from the “Church-of-Christ” cult.

The result this time: I was suddenly extremely matchable and given seven pages of matches with 20 women on each. Now remember, this is for the exact same person (me) with the only difference in responses being that I was now lying about my religious beliefs.

Now I’m not really sure how mad I should be about this. It’s just one more blatant example of how religious people can be such narrow-minded, self-righteous pieces of shit. I mean, think about it; why would somebody bother setting up an online matchmaker service and automatically ban non-religious people from using it? It’s not like any atheists are going to join that site in an attempt to pull theists away from their mindless flocks. Maybe we (the atheists) are just looking to find a date as well. But I guess they’re just using that intolerance that their religion has taught them so well…

bis später,

Coriolis

5 comments:

  1. I was rejected by eharmony two weeks ago and could not understand why before coming upon your post. It makes sense now as, being Agnostic, I too selected "neither religious nor spiritual" on page 2.

    This is such BS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience and am glad you were able to confirm the causative variable.

    It may not be that they are discriminating against atheists, but that their research found that religious delusion helps keep marriages together - something I could possibly see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be onto something there, my anonymous friend. Perhaps they ran some research ... of course they may want to run some research into their own - as you so aptly put it - religious delusions.

    Either way, discrimination is discrimination ... and this is obviously discrimination...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Religion doesn't have much to do with the reason you were rejected, though it used to be of much more importance. Ever since the same-sex discrimination lawsuit was launched against them, they've had to change their entire approach to the way they do business.

    What I HAVE noticed, however, is a huge stigma against things like depression or any sign of "mental trouble". If you're not perfectly well-balanced and extroverted and outgoing, and yadda yadda yadda, it's almost a sure sign that you'll be rejected.

    Example? I created two different profiles on EH using two Email addresses - one answered the questions with "occasional depression", one without. The "depressed" profile was rejected - the "well-adjusted" one accepted.

    I don't personally know of anyone that hasn't been occasionally "depressed" or down in the dumps - that's life, it happens. But apparently not in EH's world. Good thing that I know this now before I sent them any money.

    I'm proud to be an EH reject, personally. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting point if the reason I got rejected was my answer to a depression based question; but it wasn't. You may want to re-read my little blog post. The ONLY difference in my answers was religion. EVERYTHING else was answered truthfully. I spent quite some time insuring that religion was the only delta on my two attemtps.

    Non-religious me - rejected. Religious me - easily "matched"... It doesn't take a genious to read between those lines...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog