Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's a Trap!

Okay, let’s not get into this “Oh no! California’s taken control of Cori!!” bullshit … however yesterday, at my yoga class, I began to really see some of the benefits with living here in southern California. I think it was whilst transitioning from “cobra” to “downward staring dog” for the fifth or sixth time that my spiritual and emotional energy forces teamed up and pulverized my common sense into submission. I guess it’s time for me to get to work on selling my house in Colorado – which, in today’s market, I’ll be lucky to break-even with – purchasing one of these apartments or townhomes (real houses are far too expensive) here in Cali – for the low low rate of “way too much” per month – loading up my truck and moving to Beverly … Hills, that is…

Of course this will quickly be followed by my waking up – all covered in sweat and screaming! Although at one time (high school…) I believed that California was the “place to be”, I have since realized that the propaganda shoveled into our brains via the multitude of mass media outlets available today is composed primarily of crap. Hold on … let me rephrase that a bit… For me, most of this popular hoopla is crap. That’s just me… I’ve got this bad habit (I guess the “badness” of it is open for debate) of automatically avoiding things (experiences, items, TV shows, music … your basic “things”) with direct proportion to their popularity. Following the latest fad just seems like such a waste of time to me – heck, if I’m not careful I might need to blog about it and who knows how much time I’d be wasting with that…

Funny thing is … my social calendar – for the next few weeks at least – has become rather full and I’m not exactly sure why this is. Yesterday, as I mentioned, I actually did attend a yoga class. A yoga class! Me! Now how weird is that?! Granted I won’t be attending any more … it was pretty much what I thought it would be … however yesterday I went. For full disclosure, it was actually a teaser class that Naoko – our HR executive extraordinaire – was able to set up at the request of Roberto (who, by the way, didn’t even go…) for the employees of AltaSens. This, of course, meant that it was free…

Tonight I will be heading down to Beverly Hills with Nini to attend what is being billed as “Lewis Black in conversation with Joel Stein” at the Writers Guild Theater. I’m not sure what to expect at this event – it was listed as a stop on Lewis’ publicity appearances for his Me of Little Faith book release – however I should at least be able to pick up a copy of the book and even get it signed by Lewis. Whatever else happens will just be a bonus…

Eddie Money is playing a concert Saturday at Constitution Park in Camarillo. It’s free (I think they expect a “donation” but that’s cool…) and, since I currently live in Camarillo, very convenient. I’m pretty sure that Nini and I will be making an appearance there – I saw Eddie Money years ago when he was opening for Journey in Detroit – a little classic 80’s rock could be interesting…

On Sunday we’re heading over to Hollywood to attend a couple tapings of The Gong Show hosted by Dave Attell. Since Dave is a MySpace “friend” of mine, I saw his bulletin posting on free tickets to The Gong Show tapings and – being that Hollywood’s not very far from where I am currently living – I jumped at the chance. I got tickets to both tapings on Sunday…

And to wrap up this latest flurry of activity, the big “Vegas / Colorado / possibly more Vegas” trip begins in just over a week. We’re currently booked for three nights at Paris and have reservations for Cirque du Soleil’s Mystère next Sunday. After that we will be heading back to Colorado so I can renew the registration on Precious, head to the doctor for a physical and enjoy a little quality time at my actual home – somewhere around four to five days… Then we retrace our path on the road trip back to California with another possible (completely unplanned as of yet) stint in Vegas. Should be an interesting trip – a lot of miles for Precious but that’s what cars are for, right? … driving…

Now you may have noticed something rather interesting in all of those plans – I’ve lately been replacing my formerly numerous I’s with we’s. I suppose that’s the reason behind my much more eventful social calendar – I now have somebody to do stuff with. In the past I’ve complained time and time again about the difficulty in finding things to do alone – heck, I’m pretty sure it’s the key topic on several of my previous blog postings – and finally finding someone that is willing to put up with my strange idiosyncrasies long enough to actually spend time with me has definitely expanded my options when it comes to free time. Not to mention that Nini’s always a pleasure to hang out with (which, by the way, is a good thing since she has officially been living with me since June 1st…) and life for me is looking pretty good…

So I’m beginning to wonder – perhaps my distaste for all things California is a bit unfounded. Maybe this thin slice of land just prior to the Pacific is the Promised Land so seemingly believed by a rather large multitude. Perhaps the pluses actually do outnumber the minuses in this state…

Oh Hell no! I’m not falling for that trap! I’ll do my time here for as long as need be; but damn it, I’m a Coloradoan! It’s only a matter of time before I return home … with Nini by my side…

bis später,

Coriolis

2 comments:

  1. you're buying and selling on the same market, so you shouldn't actually get hurt that bad. if you once get into the california market you should do well in the long run, that's how all the chateaus are built around longmont - CA relos.

    Be sure to find something with a garage for precious!

    You are right when you observe that you shy away from 'popular' things. dating nice girls is popular and you've sucessfully avoided it until now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah, I see what you’re saying. I’ve actually been chatting with this fellow I work with named Debo about his possible California property purchase. In these conversations I’ve done a pretty good job of explaining the very possible upside to buying property here and have even almost started convincing myself… It’s actually looking like purchasing an apartment or townhome here (and there are a lot of foreclosures that look to be pretty good deals…), living in it for my stint and then paying some property management company to rent it out for me as furnished corporate housing when I return to Colorado might not be a bad idea…

    But then I consider the possible headaches and added responsibilities this would create and fall back to my plan to become a professional poker player … yeah, right – like that’s ever going to happen…

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog