Thursday, September 06, 2018

Adulting


So hey, there’s this guy named Murphy … and he’s got a law named after him.  Seems to me that my life – most notably of late – is little more than justification of his law.  Case in point – I purchased my buddy a plane ticket to fly out here to Los Angeles last Sunday.  The flight wasn’t for last Sunday, but for a couple weeks from now when I am currently planning to drive the old ‘Route 66’ all the way from Santa Monica to Chicago and then continuing on to my parent’s house in Allen Park, Michigan.  My buddy also lives in Allen Park, so he was the perfect choice to join me on this adventure.  Two days after purchasing the flight for my buddy, I received an email from one of the plethora of jobs I applied to stating that they wanted to conduct a phone interview with me in the next 3-5 business days.  The job, should I land it, is of course in San Diego.  This adds a bit of a wrinkle to my plans…

I now wonder if I’ll be making the trip back to my parent’s house.  I suppose that all depends on how the interview process for this job goes.  Two weeks, however, isn’t nearly enough time to “complete” an interview process and actually land a job these days … heck, it’s going to take 3-5 business days just to possibly get the initial phone interview done.  Something tells me that, even if everything goes just swimmingly with the interviews, I’m not going to have any concrete job offer in two weeks … although my housing situation is scheduled to become basically void in two weeks – that’s primarily why I am planning to head back to my parent’s house.  So, do I drive back to Michigan only to then land a job in San Diego?  Seems a bit non-optimal to me…

I suppose, if the interviewing procedure appears to be going well in the next couple of weeks, I theoretically could find some short-term, furnished housing in San Diego and basically move there until I either land the job or not.  If I don’t land the job though, I would then find myself in a very awkward living position.  I’m sure I would be paying a premium for the furnished housing and any lease that I would need to have signed to live there is also an unknown.  Would I need to break it?  I would most definitely need to be moving – probably back to Michigan – although I would be lower on funds and less likely to be able to arrange for a buddy to join me on my trip this time … most people do have lives they need to lead and don’t have unlimited free-time…

I don’t know … maybe I’m making a mountain out of a molehill here.  To be honest, I’m expecting this upcoming interview to go down in flames.  Several other interviews I’ve had this last year – which, by the way, seemed to go just fine – ended up becoming nothing.  Why am I thinking this one’ll be any different?  I initially thought it was for a position that a former colleague of mine gave me a referral for – it wasn’t.  It’s actually for one of the other positions that I applied to at the same company – different location, different hiring manager, no referrals.  I’m not giving it high odds of working out.  Maybe that’s for the best.  The more I think about it, the more heading home and finding a job where I can just eke out a living sounds like the best plan.  Granted, I won’t be raking in nearly as high a salary; however, I’m giving up on the whole idea of becoming rich.  Who needs the headaches, right…?

I guess I’ll see where this goes in the next couple of weeks.  Nothing's ever simple anymore.  This adulting thing is anything but what was expected when I was a child.

bis später,

Coriolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog