Saturday, February 23, 2019

Fly, Fly Away


It’s a Saturday.  I’ve technically got nothing planned for today.  Tomorrow I plan to perhaps shave my head and begin the packing process.  I’ve got to somehow pack everything I’m going to be needing into a couple checked bags and one carry-on prior to my flight early afternoon on Tuesday.  I’ve got a one-way, first-class ticket to Seattle … it comes with two “free” checked bags and one carry-on.  I’m planning on using all three.

For you see, things have moved forward a bit since the last chat I had with you.  I mentioned the three jobs that I had the most hope of “going somewhere” and have apparently landed the first.  Ends up it’s in Seattle.  I, on the other hand, am still in Allen Park – a smallish suburb downriver from Detroit, Michigan.  This is currently scheduled to change in three days.  Although the actual start-date for this year-long contract I am accepting isn’t quite finalized yet – we’re currently “targeting” next Friday, the 1st of March although that could easily slip a bit – I’ve decided to fly out there a few days early.  I’ve booked a room in one of those extended-stay type hotels – booked it through March 15th, actually – and I am hoping to use the days before I start work to hopefully find an apartment or at least begin the process of apartment procurement.  Seems like, these days, this process has the potential to become a bit complicated.  Fingers – crossed.

It’s becoming more and more apparent that I’ve gone about this moving process wrong.  Although flying to Seattle is, by far, the simplest way to get “me” there; it makes the amount of “stuff” that I can bring quite limited.  The problem is that I drove here from California last fall with quite a bit more than I can pack into two checked bags and one carry-on.  First and foremost is the car that I drove – there’s no way they’ll let me check a car in on my flight!  So, the car stays where she currently is – in storage.  That’s just one more monthly bill I’ll need to keep paying until the time comes where I will hopefully be able to get the car shipped to me in Seattle.  Either that or I’m thinking I could maybe take a long weekend and fly back to Michigan, load up the car with the other items I wasn’t able to take on my flight, and drive her back to Seattle myself.  That, of course, would need to be sometime after winter.  Winter, after all, is why I’m not just making that drive now.  Driving a sports car with speed-rated, sport tires across the north of this country in the middle of winter just sounds like a stupid thing to attempt … besides, my mom won’t let me.  I’m going to now need to be renting a car for quite some time … yet another expense.  Oh well, that’s life.

Apart from the car, I’m also going to be needing to leave my guitars – some other bits of miscellanea as well, but the guitars seem quite consequential.  I suppose they’re actually no big deal since I haven’t been playing them at all lately due to my fear of making either of my arms (or both) completely un-usable (I wrote about this a bit earlier).  Leaving them behind does seem a bit weird to me, though.

I don’t know … it just seems blatantly apparent to me now that I should have just rented a vehicle and driven to Seattle.  Sure, this wouldn’t have solved the “car” issue; however, it would have allowed me to bring everything else.  Oh well, at least this way I get to avoid a rather long solo drive just prior to tackling the “life restart” issues.  I suppose that’s probably good … something tells me that I’ve got some somewhat difficult tasks that I’m going to need to be solving soon…  Haven’t I already completed this portion of my life?

bis später,

Coriolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog